- The first principal was Tadhg O Ceallaigh.
- The first teachers in the school were: Tadhg O Ceallaigh, Denis Kelly, Gearóid O Tiarnaigh, Tim lehane, Mrs Helen Guinan, Siobhán Bn Uí Chriagáin and Mrs Helen Nolan.
- The building of the school started in September 1965 and the contract price was £57,200
- The first class to be taught in the new building was 4th Class and their teacher was Gearóid O Tiarnaigh.
- The school is built on 2.59 acres of land.
- Treoir is Teagasc is the school’s motto. Treoir means direction and Teagasc means teaching.
Tadhg O’Cheallaigh was the first Principal of the new Scoil Phádraig Naofa Buachaillí. From his father’s school in Monaleen, Mr.O’Ceallaigh went to Rockwell College, having secured a Co.Council scholarship . On completion of his training in St. Patricks College, Drumcondra [1929/1930] he took up a teaching appointment with Christian Brothers in Sexton Street , Limerick . He transferred to St. Patrick’s School on January 1st 1940 . Later on he became principal of the boys school and held this post until his untimely death on 28-4-1970, at the early age of 58 years . He was attending a Concelebrated mass in the school hall by 2 newly ordained past pupils, Fr. Costello &Fr. Pa O’ Brian. Under his principalship the school enjoyed the reputation of being an outstanding seat of learning. His pupils always headed the annual scholarship results, & before the days of free secondary education many boys went from St. Patricks to secondary schools. They won their way into professionals which brought pride & joy to their families.
Tadhg became an active member of St. Patricks G.A.A. Club & was president until his death . He was also chairman of the Limerick Schools G.A.A. Board. He devoted much time & expended lots of energy in training the pupils of St . Patricks school. Eamon Creagan a member of the victorious hurling team of 1973 was 1 of the many wielders of the ash coached by Tadhg . J. J. Kenneally [jeweller , Wickham Street], past pupil of St. Patrick’s presented the Tadhg O’Ceallaigh Cup to Mr Noel Drumgoole chairman of the Primary Schools Board in 1970. Tadhg gave a lifetime to things gaelic , to things which were good , & causes which were worthy. Tadhg’s brother , Dennis , who came to St. Patricks school on October 1st ,1954 was principal for 3 months , but had to relinquish the post as he was then 65 years old . He remained teaching until his retirement in 1973.
Gearoid O’ Tiarnaigh succeeded Denis Kelly as Principal in 1970 . Having completed his secondary education in C.B.S., he attended St. Patricks College, Dromcondra, from 1953 to 1956 . He later graduated from U.C.G. with a B.A. & Higher Diploma in Education. He began his teaching career in the Christian Brothers Primary school , Sexton Street , on 29-8-1955. He was successful in his application for a teaching post in St. Patricks, and began teaching there on March 29th 1961 . He carried on the wonderful traditions of Tadhg . Under his principalship, hurling & football flourished , & the many hours he dedicated to the training culminated with successes in each of the different age groups . Participation in games had always been a priority. Good sportsmanship was always cultivated in the players. Win lose or draw a hand shake with the opponent was always a must. He had a great “GRÁ” for the Irish language & culture . He encouraged the pupils to take an interest in their historical city. On March 16th of every year he always took the students to St. Patricks well to make sure that the history & folklore of the parish was not forgotten . He organised gatherings in the school known as “Parish Stories’Nights”, this was where he told historical lore & sang songs of their area. During his time as principal he gathered the pupils in the hall every Friday for a “GAIRMSCOILE”. At these gatherings a song was sung, a hymn was taught & a poem was recited . Gearoid spent 32 years in St. Patricks parish he retired on August 31st, 1993.
Traditionally, Irish games formed an integral part in the ethos of the school. The following list of achievements since 1966 illustrates the competency achieved in the mastery of the aforementioned games:
- 1966- Olo Cup [Senior Hurling] 1966-Keyes cup 1969-O’Mahony cup
- 1970- junior hurling league under 12
- 1973- Keyes Cup Under 11 ½
- 1973- O’Mahony Cup under 10 hurling
- 1978- McInerney under 13 football
- 1978/79/80- 3 in a row Senior football successes
- 1980- Under 13 Hurling.
- 1981- Tadhg O’Ceallaigh Trophy
- 1981- I.N.T.O. Cup under 10 Hurling.
- 1987/88/89-3 in a row football
- 1992- McInerney Cup Under 13 football
- 2008 – U 11 Football
- 2009 – u13 Football
The presence of a strong G.A.A. club , St. Patricks with their base so close to the school provides an incalculable impetus to the sporting activity in the school. The club has always made its facilities available to St. Patricks Boy’s school.